[argyllcms] Re: printcal

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:22:19 +1000

Klaus Kompatscher wrote:
If lots of production was printed with a non perfectly linearized printer
it would be nice to use the same files to print on a second printer, which
uses the same inks and is not very different to the first one. It is obvious
that in a production ambient this would safe time and money.
Graeme may be you think about adding a feature to printcal ;-).

OK, this will be in V1.2.0 as a new option to printcal (-I). I suspect
it won't work very well though if the first printer response is
non-monotonic, or the second printer is unable to reach the same
density as the first. The advantage of setting targets is that they
can be made slightly conservative, to allow an accurate re-cal
even if the same densities can't be met. The tradeoff in setting
targets is the gamut size.