[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

Alberto, you need an independent, objective test.

Stop worrying about profiling errors and wasting time evaluating results on
screen.

Get a ColorChecker 24, photograph that, process as linear 16-bit TIFF (exactly
as you did when profiling), evaluate delta-E 2000 for the CC24 with profcheck
and your IT8.7 profile.

This test is independent of your IT8.7/2 target, workflow, RGB colour spaces,
display, printing, personal biases, etc. Delta-E 2000 is an objective,
quantitative measure of colour difference and reasonably consistent with human
perception.

Beware that you will have to match exposures, i.e. match the linear RGB (.ti3
output from scanin) for a neutral middle-grey patch (L* =
50) in both the profiling and test photos. Otherwise, you could have large
delta Es simply because of L* differences.

The illuminant might be different between the two shots, but we usually expect
(assume) camera profiles can be used with similar light sources (e.g. a D50
profile should provide "satisfactory" results for D65).

ST.