[argyllcms] Soft-proofing in Photoshop with Argyll - correction to my last post!

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 23:54:39 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a good soft-proofing workflow using Argyll and I would
really appreciate a bit of help!

To start off with, my work area is set up as follows:

-       Monitor: good quality wide gamut (Eizo CG277), calibrated and
profiled to Native, 6500K, 80cd/m2, Gamma 2.2 (default values for the
CG277).

-       Profiling: i1Pro2 / i1D3 / CG277-built-in-colorimeter. Eizo
ColorNavigator is used for the monitor (hardware) calibration and profiling
(i1Pro2 as reference).

-       A 4700K SoLux lamp (which actually has a temperature of around 4200K
according to Argyll/i1Pro2) for viewing the image. I adjust the luminance by
moving the lamp forward or backward. The lamps have a good SPD with low UV.

What I'm doing for soft-proofing (and as I'm a novice at colour management
and Argyll, I have no doubt I'm doing things wrong) is as follows:

-       I run illumread -S -c1 -H PROFILENAME.sp

-       I create two profiles as follows:

o       colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -iPROFILENAME.sp -DPROFILENAME -qh
-SMONITORPROFILENAME.icc -cmd -dpe -OPROFILENAME.icc i1Chart

o       colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -DPROFILENAME -qh
-SMONITORPROFILENAME.icc -cmd -dpe -OPROFILENAME_NoSP.icc i1Chart

-       I print using the PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc profile

-       I soft-proof using the PROFILENAME.icc with Simulate Paper White on.

This seems to work really well and the monitor and print match very closely.
HOWEVER . I have no idea if this works just by luck and so can't be relied
on, or if it's technically correct.  Softproofing with PROFILENAME.icc gives
the right paper white and the colors seem to match very well (on two test
prints, one with paper which has no FWA: Canson Platine; and one that does:
Canson Photo HiGloss).  Using the PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc to soft-proof (the
profile used to print) does not give the right paper white or colours (too
blue) . perhaps because the SoLux lamp is well below D50?

My reasoning is that PROFILENAME.icc has the correct illuminant / paper
information so it will soft-proof correctly, but it should not be used to
print (doing a Convert to Profile in Photoshop gives a bluer image for the
Canson Photo HiGloss image (presumably because of the FWA compensation?)).

Many thanks, once again!

Robert

(BTW - the profiles generated using Argyll are really excellent, better than
the Canson-supplied profiles and better than the Z3100-generated profiles).