[argyllcms] Re: Soft-proofing in Photoshop with Argyll - correction to my last post!

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:01:09 +1000

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I find that using Lightroom's Paper White background just doesn't work for
> me because the simulated white just looks yellow.  My eyes do not adjust to
> the 'white' on the display as it would to the 'white' on the paper.  Here is
> a very interesting article that explains why:
> http://www.color-image.com/2012/02/monitor-calibration-d65-white-point-soft-
> proofing/.

I've come across various explanations as to why softproofed images look
too yellow on a display, but the explanations were all different, and I
found none of them completely convincing. And in developing a softproofing
product, we didn't notice such an effect. When we got the XYZ numbers to match,
the display was an extremely close match to the print.

Trying to softproof on a display showing other elements that have
a white that is not the same as the softproof paper color will certainly
not work - you're eye will be in a mixed state of adaptation at best.

> I don't use ProPhoto because its gamut is way bigger than both my monitor's
> and printer's gamut, and so I think it's more likely to cause me problems
> than help me produce a good print.

Any super-large gamut space has to be treated with caution. If you
convert from it and take the full colorspace as the source gamut,
you will end up with a terrible result.