[argyllcms] Re: Soft-proofing in Photoshop with Argyll - correction to my last post!

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:07:24 +1000

robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a good soft-proofing workflow using Argyll and I would
> really appreciate a bit of help!

> What I'm doing for soft-proofing (and as I'm a novice at colour management
> and Argyll, I have no doubt I'm doing things wrong) is as follows:

> This seems to work really well and the monitor and print match very closely.
> HOWEVER . I have no idea if this works just by luck and so can't be relied
> on, or if it's technically correct.

Hi,

There are a lot of details missing in regard to your soft proofing.

For instance, you don't say how you are actually doing it,
ie. what profiles form the rendering chain for your soft proof,
what intents are used, or what CMM is being used. You are at
the mercy of all of those elements, + the way the profiles are set up.

> Using the PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc to soft-proof (the
> profile used to print) does not give the right paper white or colours (too
> blue) . perhaps because the SoLux lamp is well below D50?

This depends on the rendering intent - anything but absolute should give
the same white for both profiles, since the white will be the paper color.