[argyllcms] Soft-proofing in Photoshop with Argyll

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:37:37 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a good soft-proofing workflow using Argyll and I would
really appreciate a bit of help!

To start off with, my work area is set up as follows:

-       Monitor: good quality wide gamut (Eizo CG277), calibrated and
profiled to Native, 6500K, 80cd/m2, Gamma 2.2 (default values for the
CG277).

-       Profiling: i1Pro2 / i1D3 / CG277-built-in-colorimeter. Eizo
ColorNavigator is used for the monitor (hardware) calibration and profiling
(i1Pro2 as reference).

-       A 4700K SoLux lamp (which actually has a temperature of around 4200K
according to Argyll/i1Pro2) for viewing the image. I adjust the luminance by
moving the lamp forward or backward. The lamps have a good SPD with low UV.

What I'm doing for soft-proofing (and as I'm a novice at colour management
and Argyll, I have no doubt I'm doing things wrong) is as follows:

-       I run illumread -S -c1 -H PROFILENAME.sp

-       I create two profiles as follows:

o       colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -iPROFILENAME.sp -DPROFILENAME -qh
-SMONITORPROFILENAME.icc -cmd -dpe -OPROFILENAME.icc i1Chart

o       colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -DPROFILENAME -qh
-SMONITORPROFILENAME.icc -cmd -dpe -OPROFILENAME_NoSP.icc i1Chart

-       I print using the PROFILENAME.icc profile

-       I soft-proof using the PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc with Simulate Paper
White on.

This seems to work really well and the monitor and print match very closely.
HOWEVER . I have no idea if this works just by luck and so can't be relied
on, or if it's technically correct.  Using the PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc gives
the right paper white and the colors seem to match very well (on two test
prints, one with paper which has no FWA: Canson Platine; and one that does:
Canson Photo HiGloss).  Using the PROFILENAME.icc to soft-proof (the profile
used to print) does not give the right paper white or colours (too blue) .
perhaps because the SoLux lamp is well below D50?

My reasoning is that PROFILENAME_NoSP.icc has the correct illuminant / paper
information so it will soft-proof correctly, but it should not be used to
print (doing a Convert to Profile in Photoshop gives a bluer image for the
Canson Photo HiGloss image (presumably because of the FWA compensation?)).

Many thanks, once again!

Robert

(BTW - the profiles generated using Argyll are really excellent, better than
the Canson-supplied profiles and better than the Z3100-generated profiles).