[argyllcms] Re: Soft-proofing in Photoshop with Argyll - correction to my last post!

  • From: <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 13:55:40 +0100

Hello Graeme,

Here are the commands I'm using for the Canson Platine profile:

targen -v -d2 -G -e8 -B8 -c " HP_Z3100_Canson Platine 310_Canson
Profile.icc" -f866 HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine (note: the reference profile is
supplied by Canson)

printtarg -v -ii1 -a1.0 -T300 -M6 -pA4 HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine

chartread HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine

illumread -S -c1 -H "HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine".sp

colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -D"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine" -qh
-S"Eizo_CG277_Native_6500K_80cd".icc -cmd -dpe
-O"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.icc" HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine

colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -i"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.sp"
-f"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.sp" -D"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof" -qh
-S"Eizo_CG277_Native_6500K_80cd".icc -cmd -dpe
-O"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof.icc" HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine

rem colprof -v -A"HP" -M"Z3100" -i"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.sp"
-D"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof_Not_FWA_Compensated" -qh
-S"Eizo_CG277_Native_6500K_80cd".icc -cmd -dpe
-O"HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof_Not_FWA_Compensated.icc"
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine

The monitor is hardware calibrated and profiled using the Eizo
ColorNavigator with the i1Pro2: Eizo_CG277_Native_6500K_80cd.icc

The HPZ3100 printer is calibrated using its built-in spectrometer.  The
Z3100 is a 12-ink printer, so I guess using the built-in calibration is a
better option rather than trying to calibrate it with the i1Pro2.

Obviously, the printer is profiled using Argyll :).

I check the generated profiles using iccgamut and viewgam (and also using
GamutVision as this shows extra things like Black & White density response).

I use Lightroom to print and Photoshop CS6 to soft-proof.  Both use the
Adobe ACE CMM engine.

My document's profile is Adobe RGB.

The monitor profile is Eizo_CG277_Native_6500K_80cd.icc

Photoshop's working space is Adobe RGB.

I print the document from Lightroom using Relative Colorimetric with the
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.icc profile (produced by colprof without -i & -f).

I softproof in Photoshop.

I set the soft-proof "Device to Simulate" to either
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof or to
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof_Not_FWA_Compensated (makes no difference
as per my previous post).

I set the soft-proof "Rendering Intent" to Relative Colorimetric, "Black
Point Compensation" on, "Simulate Paper Color" on.

BTW, I don't know what Photoshop CS6 (or Lightroom) is doing, but all
rendering intents simulate the paper color: so using the
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine.sp in all cases does not give the simulated paper
white with Solux lighting (it gives the D50 simulated paper white), whereas
using HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof or
HP_Z3100_Canson_Platine_Solux_Proof_Not_FWA_Compensated does, again in all
cases.  I've also created D50 and D65 profiles (-iD50 -fD50 and -iD65
-fD65): when soft-proofed with the D50 profile changing from the print to
the softproof profile makes no difference, as expected; selecting the D65
profile with simulated paper color ON gives a much bluer color than with
simulated paper color OFF, which seems wrong as the monitor was profiled to
6500K and currently has a CCT of 6600K).

The only other thing I do is to view the image on the monitor in a darkened
room at full screen mode, so no other whites to fool the eyes, and I
illuminate the paper using the Solux lamp. The paper and monitor are side by
side and the images are the same size. I have a rig that prevents light from
the lamp shining on the monitor or other surface, so that just the paper is
illuminated).

I can't think of anything else to add :).  Is this workflow essentially
correct, or is there a fatal flaw in it?

Many thanks!

Robert

p.s Once I get this sorted out correctly (with your help, needless to say)
I'll write a tutorial on how to do it, including batch files (this would
have been VERY helpful to me, although I have to say that doing it the hard
way is a great learning exercise, if one has the time).