[argyllcms] Re: Python bindings to ArgyllCMS?

  • From: "Guy K. Kloss" <G.Kloss@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:52:46 +1300

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:57:44 pm Graeme Gill wrote:
> Not that I'm aware of. You can execute the application like
> any other of course, but the overall functionality is not currently
> organized as a cohesive library.
>
> Note of course that anything using the Argyll functionality is then
> subject to GNU licensing.

That is definitely true. But there is and may be even more stuff around in
future if it would be also accessible in a library like fashion. And even
more, if there would be e. g. also a Python API.

Commercial applications still can call it as a black-box application through a
system call doing a simple exec.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 3:29:16 am Roger Breton wrote:
> Wow! Have a heart guys. That's going to be a lot of work for Graeme. And
> while his limited resources will be

Who says it would need to be a lot of work for Graeme? It's an open source GPL
project. So, assuming the coordination between several developers is managed
sensibly, the creation of bindings can be handled by other developers.
Bindings can be also automagically generated, using e. g. Py++, SWIG (ad done
for e. g. OpenCV), or other mechanisms. Just given a talk at the BarCamp
Auckland on hybrid Python/C++ development using automatic wrapper generation:

http://www.slideshare.net/XEmacs/thinking-hybrid-pythonc-integration

Guy

--
Guy K. Kloss
Institute of Information and Mathematical Sciences