[argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki measurement drift

  • From: Juergen Lilien <jp.lilien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 05:36:41 +0200

Roger Breton wrote:

Hello Roger,

> I have both a ColorMunki and an EyeOnePro here. Maybe you can guide me in
> some comparative testing for you? I'm kind of busy these days but I can give
> it a try...

thanks for this very kind offer!
I will come back to you, when the fog has lifted somewhat, and I know
what question/test could be really of help.

> BTW, I am no video engineer but, sometimes, I wonder to what extent is the
> 110V/220V input voltage fluctuation could influence the monitor emitted
> light? Crazy idea, I know.

The internal electronics is working with a lower stabilized
d.c. voltage, so I don't think fluctuations of the input voltage
could be of relevance here, like with e.g. a conventional light bulb.

> Black level going up, anything below 1 cd/m2 measured with these
> "affordable" instruments (i1pro, Munki, DTP92), is to be taken with a grain
> of salt, IMO. These instruments are never sensitive enough to measure such
> low light levels with any precision or accuracy.

I have to admit I had higher expectations for this "affordable" price
tag, and an instrument delivering four digits behind the decimal point
suggests some underlying precision to the clueless. With a little
deeper insight I understand now that absolute precision of the
measurement is generally a big problem, but I would still hope for
less drift and more predictability.

Regards, Juergen