[argyllcms] Re: Calibration + profiling or Profiling only

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:34:45 +0200 (MEST)

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:31:32 +1000
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Calibration + profiling or Profiling only

edmund ronald wrote:
How good is EDID data?

Anecdotally, the color information in the EDID is poor. Mass
market display makers can't be bothered either characterizing
their displays nor maintaining particular behaviour. High
end displays may be better, but I have no firm knowledge
one way or the other.

From my visual impressions with CompIcc, the EDIDs are at least a good guess. The difference is instantly obvious and a significant improvement.

Higher end display EDIDs tent to perform better simply because of the more careful calibrated state of gray reproduction. I have seen LCDs which needed nearly no calibration. Then the gamma guess from the EDID data delivers reasonable results for that approach. The strength lays in the primary correction through the EDID information. Different sized gamuts can instantly appear more close saturated and pure colours improve with a ICC profile generated from the EDID primaries.

I was really sceptical to implement on the fly ICC profile generation from EDID. After using that feature in Oyranos a while, its a real win.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org