[argyllcms] Re: Calibration + profiling or Profiling only

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:14:16 +0200

>>> I've looked briefly at the 3DLUT format and it's capabilities seem
similar to a shaper/matrix ICC profile [...]

No, not really.

yCMS uses the primary and white color coordinates for gamut conversion and
IRE luminance values for gamma correction. But it also take care about the
white balance. You can input three dimensional data for the IREs.
It has some limits but you can work with 256 IREs. Do you want or need more?
(I think you can't until you don't have a real 10 bit pipeline.)

LUT is only LUT, look up table.
An ICC file is better for general purposes but they contains much less data.
You have to interpolate a lot.
These (yCMS ones) are full 3DLUTs, every possible colors are precalculated.

The final output is dithered 8 bit now, but madshi would implement 10 bit
support.
And EVR is simply inferior.

So, I think that this madVR+yCMS solution is way better for this given task
(movie playback) than EVR with ICC based CMS.

*** The only note that the current yCMS version doesn't really corrects the
white balance (at leas for me). But it theoretically should and it is under
development...