[argyllcms] Re: Calibration + profiling or Profiling only

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:24:42 +0200

>>> Maybe a hardware whitepoint adjustment together with the '3D LUT' of
yCMS to do all the remaining work (gamut + tonal response adjustment) is the
way to go

This is exactly what I used to do.
I am just wondering about the possibilities. (Now, when I want re-calibrate
my display with the new Argy version...)

It is hard to manually measure video test patterns, so I checked the results
with primaries+secondaries+10 IREs and it looked great.
But I checked the gamma, WB and gamut primaries(+secondaries) only. I didn't
calculated dE94 values for random colors. So, the real world performance is
an open question.

By the way, I used to get relatively smooth gray gradients with scary LUT
curves too because the VGA LUT works with effectively 10 bit/color
precision. So, I can notice 256 steps even if the curves start from >0 and
end <255 because I will see 256 different grays from the 1024 possible
grays.
Of course, the contrast ratio is clipped but hardware gains will clip it as
well.

So, I am sure that I should forget about those gains when I will be able to
output 10 bit/color. (But I have dithering now, so it is still an open
question...)