[argyllcms] Re: Calibration + profiling or Profiling only

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 23:02:30 +0200

I made a quick test yesterday.

I used the "Massive testchart for LUT profiles" from DispcalGUI (2386 sample
points) to create a high quality profile for my uncalibrated display (in
Standard mode - wide gamut, strange native gamma curve).
The result is awful. I converted an image with a gray ramp and it has a lot
of banding and colorizations at the lower IREs.
I used to get a reasonable (or even nice) grayscale after the VGA LUT
calibration. (Because it operates with 10 bit precision, I think...)
(Of course, I used the High Resolution mode with default integration times
because I didn't have a week to finish the process. But it shouldn't make so
big differences.)

So, it is a decidedly bad idea for me. But I am wondering about the results
with 10 bit/color framebuffers. (To bad that I can't softmod my VGA into a
FirePro).
Or can it be a limitation of the LUT based profile itself?