[argyllcms] Re: Calibrating the DTP94

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:34:41 +1100

Roger Breton wrote:

If you scaled the
XYZ values to make the white points agree, how much in
error would other colors be ?

I don't know and that's probably not the route to go, perhaps.

The reason I ask is simply that this is the form of calibration
supported by the DTP94, and it will probably improve things. If
you have the numbers, then you can figure out how much it would
improve things.

Suppose I use dispcal to calibrate my Eizo CG221. Presently, this would only
go as far as calibrating the monitor through the host video LUT -- not the
monitor LUT. So, not a good solutino for this part of the work :(

Them's the breaks. Not much I can do about it, if I don't have one
of each of the displays in question, to reverse engineer their
in-monitor LUT's access. Of course if you use the VGA output and
a video card with > 8 bit LUT entries, you'll get a better
result with dispcal. Before assuming it's not going to be any
good though, perhaps it's an idea to try dispcal out and see how
it looks. I'd be interested in the feedback.

Then, conceivably, I could use targread to read the patches, with my CS-100,
in some kind of manual mode, and then profile would build me the final 3DLUT
monitor profile from my corrected CS-100 measurements! Bingo.

Would that work?

Sure, but you'd need to write a driver of some sort to
capture the color values, since display calibration is interactive,
and any manual means would be rather tedious.