[argyllcms] Re: Am I stupid or is it something else... my color management sucks.

  • From: Michel Joly de Lotbinière <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:06:53 -0400

I use a DTP94  colourimeter, and the only way to achieve neutral dark
grey tones on my notebook's decent but average display is to make a
Single Curve + Matrix profile: the RGB Curves + Matrix always have a
slight reddish cast in the RGB(0,0,0) to RGB(40,40,40) range of grey
tones, whether I use the Windows or LCMS colour management engines.
Using the 1xCurve+Matrix profile means tolerating deltaE errors of
something like 1 to 15 (most colours average around 3 or 4, but most
greys are within +-1 deltaE of neutral): as all I care about is a
tractable calibration curve and a convincing grey neutrality in the
display (which is a huge improvement to the uncorrected display), I
can live with that degree of inaccuracy. Obviously that is completely
unacceptable if you have a good quality display and want accurate
colour.

If I could figure out how all the black level offset, correction rate
and percentage adjustments actually work (e.g. does a higher numerical
correction rate imply that dark grey tones are pushed faster towards
the display's *native* colour temperature or towards the assigned
*target* colour temperature? Is anything done via the correction rate
if 0% correction percentage is specified, as is the default for
LCDs?), then I might be able to achieve better accuracy with a
3xCurve+Matrix profile.

The dispcal help text is really confusing here in terms of answering
the question: if the dark greys of a step wedge observed in a
colour-manged application using the final profile (perceptual intent)
produced by colprof are biased on the red/cyan axis when viewed on an
LCD display, but they are neutral in the calibration produced by
dispcal (as judged by observing a neutral step wedge in a non-colour
managed application), what adjustments can I make in dispcal to
attempt to correct that?

Maybe DTP94 (and Spyder3?) readings of dark colours are simply less
accurate than bright colours, and this skews the profile calculations,
even if the calibration LUT curve produces neutral dark greys.

Sorry not to help--but do try the single curve + matrix type of
profile, it may work for you as well, at least as a first
approximation.