[arachne] Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:04:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, December 12, 2008 3:06 pm, Ron Clarke wrote:
   Maybe not to you, but it matters to me.

>    What is still fresh in my mind is the fire in a server farm in Dallas
> Texas. That server farm hosted web domains, including both of mine. I
> lost nothing, but others were not so lucky. My domains are now hosted
> in Sydney, Australia.
>
>    Now, what if I had had my business records there as well ?

Well, business records ought to be in more than one "place", that's
for sure. You think Sydney is safer than Dallas? Depends on your luck.

Certainly business documents and works in progress ought to be in
more places than a vulnerable laptop being carried around the world
by business travel.

I am uneasy myself about Google. Gmail is wildly popular now. At least
half of the new email addresses I ran across are Gmail. It's a robust
application, but you have to put up with advertising and it's not
secure.

There is no real privacy on the internet.

I've always liked the concept of remote computing, but, as you point
out there are problems with security and control.

Sam Ewalt