[arachne] Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:06:19 +1100

Hi Folks,

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:11:07 -0500 (EST)
"Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, December 11, 2008 9:35 pm, L.D. Best wrote:
>
> > Here's a teaser:  Can 'low end' computers take advantage of "the cloud" ??
> >
> "The cloud" is a massive, expandable network of servers and
> powerful computers that you can access as needed. There is no
> need for massive computing power on your desktop if you can
> access that power whenever and wherever you need it.
>
> Think dumb terminal and multi-user system with the applications
> and data being stored and worked with remotely. The terminal
> doesn't have to be all that powerful, just capable of displaying
> the interface to the resources that reside elsewhere. The "elsewhere"
> is expandable and gathers resources as needed.
>
> "The cloud" is an evolving idea. Early and perhaps primitive examples
> would be things like Gmail and the Google applications. Who needs a
> word processor on your own computer as long as you can access one?
> You don't have to take it with you, it's already there. Many people
> from many locations can all access and work on the same documents.
> You can travel around the campus and around the world and still have
> all your files and documents. You don't even know where your stuff
> is physically. It no longer matters.

   Maybe not to you, but it matters to me.

   What is still fresh in my mind is the fire in a server farm in Dallas Texas.
That server farm hosted web domains, including both of mine. I lost nothing,
but others were not so lucky. My domains are now hosted in Sydney, Australia.

   Now, what if I had had my business records there as well ?

> Keep extending this idea. Why does an enterprise need its own
> servers as long as service is available?

   To ensure that all the important stuff is safe from mishap, and is backed up
properly and regularly.
And that my confidential stuff is not so vulnerable to either hackers
(including government agencies) or corrupted server-farm employees.

> Services don't need to reside in a location. They just need to
> exist and be locatable. They can float through the cloud like
> ideas float through our brains.

   If you want "cloud" functionality for Arachne - you already have it.  Read
the documents on "netdos".
See:  arachne\doc\netdos.htm for Michael Polak's original explanation.

   Not a lot of applications available yet, just proof of concept, but it DOES
work.
See: http://www.ausreg.com/netdos/netdos.htm

   If there are favourite single-executable DOS programs that anyone would like
hosted in an "Arachne cloud", speak up !   Ya never know what is possible until
ya try.  :)

Regards,
        Ron

--