[arachne] Re: What is "cloud computing" ???

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:36:39 -0600

I agree...but go further back is all...back before the internet, before even
bulletin board services...the first pharmacy "computer" systems were no more
than diskless workstations connected via channel interface over telephone line
to a mainframe.  That was in the late 1970s and early 80s.  This SaS (Software
as Service) was expensive as well...over $900 US per month in rent!  So when
"stand-alone" pharmacy systems became available, the prices around $20,000 for
IBM XT based computers didn't sound all that bad.
As for backup...I do some, had to recently when AOL shutdown Hometown.  I
haven't burned to CD or anything, as I now have the files on 2 hard drives.

Wiz
Glenn Gilbreath Jr.
Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html

From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> JavaScript is not a good example of what "cloud computing" entails.  In fact,
> if JS were handled on the server, Arachne wouldn't be in need of JS support.

This is just what I said, there is no need to repeat it.

My point was that "cloud computing" is more like what the Internet
was, but new web standards like JS are basically the opposite,
effectively defeating this concept.

While I think that the Internet is a good thing, I don't think that I
would ever entrust all of my private data to it. I even make regular
backups of my website, so that I won't lose everything in case of a
server crash.

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de

-- This mail was written by a user of The Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/