[amayausers] Re: pricing

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:54:08 -0600

Phylls,
        Remember that 56,000 thousand stitches will take approximately 1 hour to
run.  Between hooping, thread selection and set up, thread/bobbin breaks,
etc... and realistically running your machine at about 1000 stitches per
minute.  Although your take home pay may not be $60 bucks per hour, your
shop wage should be at least in that area.  Don't forget about overhead -
lights, rent, supplies, and, by all means, what you paid for that sweet
machine.  There's also something you should consider...  in business school,
I think they call it a "convenience charge".  I could be wrong on the term.
What it means is how much money could you have made on other business had
you not had to tie up your machine for that one hour on that one job???  Say
you are making $6 bucks for simply sewing out a school name on a dozen bags.
Each bag takes 5 minutes each.  Therefore, you could have made $72 bucks in
that hour where you've decided to do a 56,000 stitch for less.  Now of
course that's just business theory and that only applies if you have
business lined up and waiting.  If you are sitting around and waiting for
business, it's a totally different story.  Also consider if this job will
bring in other work?  Maybe it's a first time customer and you want them to
help spread "good word of mouth".  You will always have the final say in the
final price.  Just don't undersell yourself.  At our shop, we usually don't
do anything for less than $7.95.  Unless we are having a sale day and that's
just to make up for slow times.  Study your competition and / or fellow
embroiderers in the area.  Your competition will call you and ask about your
pricing if they haven't done so yet - usually anonymously.  Sometimes they
might drop by and look around, ask questions and even buy something from you
to assess your pricing, quality, and customer service.  You know, so they
know where they stand.
        If we're ever in a new part of town or traveling, we always make it a
point
to drop in on any local embroidery shops just to look around and if they are
far away enough from home, we share embroidery stories.
Best of luck to you.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes
E.M. Broidery