[amayausers] Re: pricing

  • From: "Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:01:28 -0700

Hi Phyllis,
Not knowing what part of the country you are from, pricing will vary
depending on what the market in that area will bare.  I have a friend in
Oregon who has no competition within a large radius.  She charges set-up
fees, $1.00 per thousand stitches (regardless of how large the design is),
charges more than that if it is metallic thread being used,  marks up her
garments by at least 60% and sometimes up to 100%,  charges more if the
garment is not ordered through her business, charges editing fees,
digitizing fees, "use" fees if it is a design she has to purchase, and
should she be asked to pre-shrink a garment, that is an additional $5.00.
AND, she will even charge them $1 should she break a needle during their
run!!!  She has all the business she can possible handle and never has a
complaint from her clients.  There is something about the perceived value of
a garment that makes the customer treasure their personalized garment.  We
personally charge $1.00 per thousand for most things--unless it is a large
order.  You might make breaks at different volumns.  We mark our garments up
at least 60%.  We charge $10 per thousand stitches for digitizing.  I do not
charge a set-up fee.  I do charge more for metallic thread because it costs
more and will ruin our rollers faster. I provide free pick-up and delivery
service if it is a good customer who places frequent or large orders.

If you run only one head, you need to charge more to cover your expenses and
time than someone who has 4,6 or 12 heads running.  If you run only one
head, you are probably more willing to do "onsies" than the business running
a 12-head machine.  Also, you need to build in at least a 2% "damage" charge
to cover any mistakes that might happen.  Should you get a large order,
maybe you can give a discount---just be careful.  I have heard of some who
actually charge up to $1.50 per thousand stitches and they get it!

Remember, we paid a lot of money for our machines, software, hooping
systems, stabilizers, threads, scissors, etc. etc. etc., space inside or
outside our home, electricity, insurance on our equipment, taxes,
bookkeeping system, training, travel, catalogs, cell phone, and we still
need to be able to make a profit to pay ourselves a fair wage.  We either
run it as a business or it is just a hobby.  If you do quality work, then
don't be ashamed to charge for it.

I know you will get other responses much better than mine but this might
give you food for thought.
Sharon

Rod Springer
Melco Trained Technician/Owner