[amayausers.com] Re: pricing

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 16:07:48 UT

This message was posted by Mr. Sew & Sew on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/528.html#000006

John - I hear ya on the trashed shirts and that has been one of my concerns.  I
messed up the first two - one was unusable (crooked) and the other I placed the
logo a bit too high.  So the first went in the trash and the second is now in
my wardrobe.  I always "test" the first garments in my size where possible so I
can keep the shirt if it's only slightly off.  That's when my wife took over as
she is the expert hooper.

I know my prices are lower than the local sports stores but like I said, this
could be a huge account for me over time and the logo sews out very easily. So
on this order, I had about $46 in eaten costs but by the time I finish the
second order, I've got somewhere around $2500 in my pocket for a few days work.
 That's after the credit card fees, trashed shirts, etc.

I think in many cases, I am fighting the perception of a home based part time
embroiderer.  Kind of like how some people only want name brand foods or
something and will pay a premium for that.  Some folks just want to buy from
the bigger shops and are willing to pay more for that comfort level.  I have
had a few people just hang up on me when I say I am home based for whatever
reason.

Since I know this guy for 25 years, he showed me what they paid for the last
order from a different firm.  It was Ping shirts instead of Nike, so I adjusted
my prices for the difference between those two garments in the SanMar catalog
and that's what price I gave them.  I also have a SanMar warehouse 20 mins from
my house and it's on the way home from my day job so I never pay freight and
always have the items the same day I order them which is a nice perk.

I am working on getting another large job from a friend that works for a huge
New York city agency.  This could be 400-500 pieces twice a year so I will also
need to be competitive on the pricing.  This corporate job has given me some
insights into this and why I posted my question on the boards.

Thanks to you guys for replying.  I'm more comfortable now that I'm charging a
fair price and still making a nice profit.  Without doing this full time, it's
harder to figure out what my true cost is for the machines, etc. because
anything I make goes into my pocket.  My only overhead is some electricity,
maintenance, NNEP membership, etc.

Tom