[amayausers] Re: Leather

  • From: DLCompton@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:29:18 EDT

I've never sewn on leather but Helen's book recommends: For soft leather,
use a sharp needle, the smallest you can (switch to ball point if you get too
many thread breaks). For hard leather, use a ball point. Use a 70/10 for light
leather, 75/11 for mid-weight and 80/12 for heavy. Synthetic thread (e.g.
polyester) is good as the acid used in tanning can compromise natural fibers.
You can use #40-weight but #30 will allow use of less density (fewer needle
holes).

Use tearaway backing, wrap hoop prior to hooping or go hoop-less.

There is alot more....you can call me and I'll read it to you if you'd  like.

Dorothy  Compton
Bee Embroidered
_www.BeeEmbroidered.com_ (http://www.beeembroidered.com/)
(916)  635-7467
Rancho Cordova, CA

In a message dated 4/29/2005 11:43:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
adams3910@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have  my first encounter with leather and am not sure what precautions I
should  take----needle size, sharp vs ball?  Any suggestions?   Thanks

Jeanne Adams
Sports  Etc