[amayausers] Re: Leather

  • From: "Laughing Palm Inc." <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:06:44 -0500

Having read the responses to the leather question, I'm curious as to what
others do...

I've found that using an extra narrow wedge-point leather needle has worked
out very well for me - at least for leather purses that a local shop keeps
sending us...in addition to an odd leather jacket now and then.  The
blade-style leather needle allows slicing instead of punching like the
standard round needles, which allows the leather to close back up nicely.  I
believe ours is Organ #DB-K5SS 75/11.  It's my understanding, however, that
if you're stitching on synthetic leather or suedes, that a regular round
needle is preferred.

I agree that for leather, almost no underlay is necessary (I usually just
have a center run for loft on narrow columns), and low density is a must
(otherwise you'll "punch out" the design), along with slower stitching
speeds (so the needle doesn't heat up too much).  I don't hoop leathers, I
just use Fast Frames (since I don't have a clamping system), and that seems
to work out fairly well.

If you're going to hoop leather, use some tearaway backing on the front and
back to reduce hoop burn while hooping, and once it's hooped, you then
remove the front backing from the design area before stitching.

What does everyone else use/do?  Any other suggestions to make it easier to
do leathers?  How does a clamping system affect the leather surface?

Regards,

Jim