[amayausers] Re: Incomplete Trims

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:21:10 -0500

        Once a week or so, depending on how much you use her, you should remove
your needle plate and clean any "trapped" thread from between the "fixed
knife" and the "UTP or under thread presser".  This area should be free from
debris like dust and pieces of thread.
        The under thread presser is a thin piece of metal that is used to
"pinch"
the thread at a point just under the fixed trim knife to help with trimming
and holding the bobbin straight for starting the next stitch.
        This UTP can become damaged, or wrinkled, from broken needles tumbling
around the rotary hook area.
For now, just make sure the area is clean. I think your machine is way too
new to be having trim knife issues.
        I've also heard of certain stitch types and lock stitch styles that can
cause the thread to fall or hang in an awkward position (under the needle
plate) at the end of a stitch and be cause for the movable knife to "miss"
catching the thread and not being able to complete a trim.
        If you get an occasional missed trim, I wouldn't show cause for alarm
that
the machine is automatically the problem.  But if you are getting frequent
missed trims and on more than one needle and on different designs, then you
should look further into the situation.
        Also know that following some missed trims, where the pantograph moves a
considerable distance from the last stitch point, what can happen is that
the thread is then pulled through the thread feed roller, obviously
"flossing" a groove into the wheel, and also pulling on the needle in a
sideways direction which could bend the needle and almost certainly break
the "pulled needle" if it is the one to stitch next because since it is
bent, it will strike the needle plate instead of going through the needle
plate hole.
        Therefore, when I digitize, I try to minimize the distance the
pantograph
has to travel between different elements of the design just incase a missed
trim should present itself.  I will even put in some manual stitches to move
from one element to another (same thread color of course) because it is so
much faster than waiting for a trim and the inching stitch count that
follows.  Hence, when I digitize, I try to have as few trims as possible
because they add to the overall amount of time it takes to do a job.  I tell
myself that trims are only for changing needles.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes
E.M. Broidery
900 Terry Parkway, Ste. 200