[access-uk] Re: XP AND FORMATTING

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:19:17 +0100

Hi Joe,

In that case, she will indeed lose all data, so if there is
anything she needs, now would be a good time to copy it to
CD or floppy.

First, disconnect from the Internet.  In other words remove
any cables that connect to the outside world.

The next hurdle is to go into the PC's BIOS and change it
such that the PC boots up off the CD drive.  Unfortunately,
this is a process which cannot be done with speech, nor can
I give you specific instructions on doing it, since BIOSs
are many and varied.

Given that you can achieve that, with the XP CD in the CD
drive, you then power the system up.  There will be a brief
display telling you to press any key to boot off the CD,
which of course you must do.

If you follow the prompts, which are quite logical and
mostly common sense, you will arrive at a point where is
asks you if you wish to create a completely new formatted
system, and additionally it will ask you about partitioning
the drive, and whether or not you wish the format to be
NTFS.   =20

I strongly recommend you use NTFS unless there is very good
reason not to.  This format is intended for these larger
drives.  If you do have some very old programs you must have
access to, then it is better to create two partition, one
being relatively small, for the older material.

Aside from the fact that you have no speech during all this,
the process is fairly straightforward.

Once complete, the system will probably be barking at you to
register and activate.  Hold on though.  Turn on XP's
firewall, and if you have one, install anti-virus software.
That's important.

Now you can go back on to the Internet, though you will
obviously have to set up your connections first.

Before you do anything else, I very strongly recommend you
go straight to the Microsoft Windows Update process, and
download ALL Critical Updates.  This will plug a number of
security holes in the system.  You may even get Service Pack
2 at this point, so be prepared for a hefty download.

Once you've done that, again make sure your anti-virus
definitions are up to date.

Hopefully you'll be able to proceed at a more leisurely pace
from there.

This is a rather basic summary, but hopefully will get you
there.

All the best,

George.

it=20
> is the ONLY=20
> >drive in the system.
> >
> >Tell us which, and I'll try to go through it.
> >
> >George.=3D20

IS
> >USING.
> > >=3D20
> > > IS THE RUN DIALOG THE SAME AS 98 SE OR DIFFERENT.
> > >=3D20
> > > I HAVE WARNED HER THAT SHE WILL LOOSE ALL HER DATA AND
> >SHOULD=3D20
> > > BACK UP WHERE NECESSARY.
> > >=3D20
> > > STEP BY STEP PLEASE.
> > > THANKS.
> > > JOE.=3D20
> > >=3D20
> > > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send
> >message, to
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq =3D20

> >=3D0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.