[access-uk] Re: XP AND FORMATTING

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:03:54 +0100

Hi Amro,

Blaster is just one reason why I said right at the beginning
to physically disconnect from the Internet, and then
immediately after installation, turn on the Windows Firewall
before reconnecting.

It would also be wise, if possible, to have anti-virus
software like AVG handy on a CD to install.

Of course in an ideal world, one should also have the SP2 CD
from Microsoft, and install that.

George.

hard=20
> drive about four months ago, as soon as I got online and=20
> before I had time to update my anti-virus
>=20
> Definitions and go thru the Microsoft Windows Update
process,=20
> the W32 Blaster virus managed to hit my computer so I=20
> couldn't stay online for more than 2 minutes. I don't know
if=20
> that is still relevant, however, if it happens it is not a

> huge problem but it is a bloody irritating. Particularly
when=20
> you have a long to do list after formatting to get your=20
> system back to normal. So I reckon it is wise to have the=20
> Blaster virus removal tool and the Windows critical update

> for that handy before formatting.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Joe, I keep a copy of almost everything I download off the

> net on my HD, so I can send you the tool and the Win
update=20
> off list if that is easier for you than tracking them from

> the net. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you
can=20
> actually install on your system a Windows update someone
else=20
> downloaded it.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Amro
>=20

remove
> > any cables that connect to the outside world.
> >
> > The next hurdle is to go into the PC's BIOS and change
it
> > such that the PC boots up off the CD drive.
Unfortunately,
> > this is a process which cannot be done with speech, nor
can
> > I give you specific instructions on doing it, since
BIOSs
> > are many and varied.
> >
> > Given that you can achieve that, with the XP CD in the
CD
> > drive, you then power the system up.  There will be a
brief
> > display telling you to press any key to boot off the CD,
> > which of course you must do.
> >
> > If you follow the prompts, which are quite logical and
> > mostly common sense, you will arrive at a point where is
> > asks you if you wish to create a completely new
formatted
> > system, and additionally it will ask you about
partitioning
> > the drive, and whether or not you wish the format to be
> > NTFS.   =3D20
> >
> > I strongly recommend you use NTFS unless there is very
good
> > reason not to.  This format is intended for these larger
> > drives.  If you do have some very old programs you must
have
> > access to, then it is better to create two partition,
one
> > being relatively small, for the older material.
> >
> > Aside from the fact that you have no speech during all
this,
> > the process is fairly straightforward.
> >
> > Once complete, the system will probably be barking at
you to
> > register and activate.  Hold on though.  Turn on XP's
> > firewall, and if you have one, install anti-virus
software.
> > That's important.
> >
> > Now you can go back on to the Internet, though you will
> > obviously have to set up your connections first.
> >
> > Before you do anything else, I very strongly recommend
you
> > go straight to the Microsoft Windows Update process, and
> > download ALL Critical Updates.  This will plug a number
of
> > security holes in the system.  You may even get Service
Pack
> > 2 at this point, so be prepared for a hefty download.
> >
> > Once you've done that, again make sure your anti-virus
> > definitions are up to date.
> >
> > Hopefully you'll be able to proceed at a more leisurely
pace
> > from there.
> >
> > This is a rather basic summary, but hopefully will get
you
> > there.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > George.

hunter
> > > Sent: 17 September 2004 09:28
> > > To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Subject: [access-uk] Re: XP AND FORMATTING
> > >=3D20
> > > hello george
> > >=3D20
> > > it has only one hard driveat forty gigs.
> > > thanks.

> > it=3D20
> > > is the ONLY=3D20

hELLO ALL,
> > =3D3D20  MY=3D20
GIGS.  I

SHE
> > IS
AND
send
Subject:-
> > faq =3D3D20

McAfee
> > Groupshield.
send a
> > message, to
> > >=3D20
> > > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > ** and in the Subject line type
> > > ** unsubscribe
> > > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send
> > message, to
> > > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq
> > >=3D20
> >

> > =3D0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.
> > ** To leave the list, send a message to:-
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a
message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, send a
message, to=20