[access-uk] Re: Well, What do you know! Sony MZ HR1 MD recorder

  • From: Joe Paton <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:51:55 +0100

Hello,

to add to steves e-mail, The r-1 as has already been said is a nice machine. However, accepting that what we hear is subjective, I find the built-in microphones have a slight lower-mid peak which I don't like. Also, the noise floor is a little high for my liking for quiet recordings. You also have to be aware that the r-1 does not support all manufacturers of flash memory, The latest encarnation of the elite pro from Kingston is problamatic, at least on 2 machines which I tried, better success may be had in using Toshiba cards and others, which is the make of card which comes with the machine.
I am currently talking to edirol Tech support about this and we are waiting for a definitive answer.
I do know that the review of the R-1 that appeared in the journal of the
British Sound Recording Association was carried out with a Kinston 4 GB
card and also this link shows a review of the card on a US site where it
is being used with a R-1:

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:d4w2X7H7hrYJ:www.newegg.com/Product/
CustratingReview.asp%3Fitem%3DN82E16820160034+EDIROL+R-1+Kingston+4GB&hl
=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

The r-9 has some reduced features over the r-1 in terms of effects processing, but the limiter function is being moved to a switch rather than a menu item. in the r-1 Battery life is about 2 and a half hours recording and 5 playback, but nimh batteries will improve on this. The recorder runs on 3 volts, draws 1 amp and 3 watts power consumption.

If anybody wants a manual, let me know, it's a reasonable scan of a pdf.

hope this helps some.

Joe