[access-uk] Re: Well, What do you know! Sony MZ HR1 MD recorder

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:24:59 +0100

Yes Steve, but my posting was just for interest's sake.  Quite why Sony appear
to be staging this last ditch attempt I cannot imagine.  Sure Hi-MD blank media
prices are somewhat below flash or SD memory, but these are falling very
rapidly, 1GB of flash or SD now selling for around £20 on the net.

I know all about the R1 and yes, its a great little recorder, in spite of the
mini-jack connectivity, a thing it shares with MD.  I dare say Steve you will
see it as a challenge to get using the R9 which is much smaller and even more
menu driven, I think.  To me its just another step towards pointless
miniaturisation.  So, if you feel like I do, get your hands on an R1 while they
are still around - and they are already getting to be scarce.

In many ways the MD system was well conceived, and for its time a quite
stunning feat of innovation for Sony, pre-empting the demise of cassette
Walkman machines, which Sony itself created as a consumer category.  Just such
a pity that MD with all its facilities got caught up in digital rights
management.   Part of the tragedy of Sony's latest effort is the, by and large,
abandonment of such irksome idiocy by Sony.  Tragedy because its too late now
to make a difference.

Steve writes:
Hi Ray,
Personally, I wouldn't bother now, I'd sooner use something like the Edirol
R-1 or the new R-9, which are flash-based recorders.  In the case of the
R-1, it records to ComptacFlash card, and in the case of the R-9, which I
believe will be out soon, if not already, that will record to SD cards,
which are even smaller.  I have a 4GB CompactFlash card in my Edirol R-1,
and even its built-in mics are superb.  It can record up to 24 bit wave, if
you really want insane quality, but it will also record in various bit rate
MP3'.  It's default of 192KB is more than adequate for most casual
recordings.
I think it's time MD died for good, especially as you don't even have to buy
much blank media, if you record to compactflash, just transfer the MP3s to
your computer and re-use.  I can't speak highly enough of the Edirol R-1,
and before anyone asks, I don't sell it, I just love the thing.
All the best