[access-uk] Re: Call for RNIB or Alison Long To Respond To My E-mail

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:45:18 +0100

I think my view would be based on the following quote:

From: "Long, Alison" <Alison.Long@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> RNIB invested 1.7 million pounds in the delivery of a technical library.
> This we did after establishing that the industry believed what we were
> asking for was completely impossible, technically not viable, and we had
> exhausted discussions with Europe and government with regard to funding.
> (I was told by technical experts at the European digital TV level that
> it was impossible to conceive of talking TV for at least 15 years).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, to put it quite bluntly,
the RNIB have had the piss taken out of them.

Look at what can be achieved in one evening by a few enthusiastic
geeks at https://london.hackspace.org.uk/.
Look at the uses that the £20 Raspberry PI is being put to already:
http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi
There are hackers who've run webservers on internet radios and pocket
calculators.
Just look around ebay and see the kind of technology you can buy -
I've just bought a 64Gb USB3 memory stick for £24, a Bluetooth 3
dongle that sticks out less than 7mm for under £5 and as I said
before, my glasses-free 3D mobile phone has a satnav, 3g, wifi,
bluetooth, hdmi etc etc, and cost less than £200.
2 years ago, these things either didn't exist or cost well over 3-5x as much.

To say that a speech enabled digibox was, and I quote, "impossible to
conceive of for at least 15 years" is total nonsense.

This is why I'd like RNIB to come forward with total transparency and
say who told them this, what this £1.7M "library" consists of, who was
involved etc.

To be GIVEN £1.7M of a charities money and then fail isn't unfortunate
or bad timing, it's bad management.
There's a lot of explaining to be done.