[access-uk] Re: BROADBAND ENQUIRY

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:40:28 +0100

Hi Brian,

The bit about cable modems being always on is a longstanding piece of
rubbish.  The only reason this is mildly the case, is because Blueyonder
and NTL tend to provide Ethernet based solutions to people, which when
their OS connects over the link - as it would do for any DSL system, the
connection is up and ready to use.  You still have to provide
authentication with Blueyonder et al, except this is done in the
hardware box you have no control over called the cable modem.

Contention rates are quite often higher on cable, as well as having to
go through the issues of getting cable in the house.

If I was in a cable area I would look at it, but the reasons you state
aren't just reasons to get cable over DSL.

Andrew.