[access-uk] Re: BROADBAND ENQUIRY

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:34:32 +0100

Ray wrote:

"That said, when we are all adicted to watching TV any time we like up to a
week or  so after transmission, I wonder if 2Mbs will still be enough?"

It won't, 8mb is pushing the limits of ADSL down analogue copper wire (at
street level).  For that kind of stuff you are probably going to be looking
at 15mb for starters, that's probably going to need optical fiber up to your
house/flat.  That's not very, very far away but a few years yet.  I have
read a fair amount of guff on this in recent past.  Telcoms are likely to
mvoe to a situation of providing all of us data packages with conventional
telephone voice services thrown in as afterthough.  In other words the
priorities will be the other way around with data being most valuable
traffic to them rather than voice calls as it is in the domestic market
today.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

From: "Tristram Llewellyn"

| Plusnet major on consistency and reliability I think more than raw speed.
| You'll have to bear in mind 2mb rollout has only recently got started and
| not everywhere has that at the moment and sometimes not even broadband.
The