[access-uk] Re: BROADBAND ENQUIRY

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:26:34 +0100

Brian wrote

"They have cable modems which are always on, as against many other providers
where, although it is high speed access, you have to initiate a connection
from the modem to the provider."

The fact you are connected with ADSL has nothing to do with whether you have
to manually connect or not, but it is a function of the type of hardware
that is supplied.  Many innexperienced users may buy the bundled hardware in
a package.  Frequently this is a USB or PC card in which Windows has to have
a dial up connection set up for it and is treated for all intents and
purposes as it if were analogue modem, there is nothing inherently wrong
here though, it is just the way the operating system sess things.  Some
people may feel this arrangement a distinct advantage if they feel their PC
is under attack from a hacker when their firewall or other securty breaks
down.  If you buy a broadband router (perhaps with wireless built in as
well) you have always on connection anyway.  There is little practical
difference betwen this and a cable providers connection, apart from possibly
contention ratios between users and ISP, although Plusnet will offer you at
a price different contention ratios and therefore more guarunteed
throughput.

Plusnet among others have the particular distinction of providing a range of
distinctive packages for more discerning user who may know what they need
and therefore get something that fits better than one size fits all
solutions.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology