[access-uk] Re: Accessibility on Sky

  • From: Eleanor burke <eleanormarthaburke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 11:30:33 +0100

you might like to read the below
link.http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-22706881
this would suggest that this information was made public by the BBC at least.

On 30 Apr 2015, at 14:02, lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Re: The tactile cone on pelican crossings. They are a secret. I never
knew they existed until my mobility instructor told me about
them. They're also a complete surprise to any sighted person I explain
them to.

I suppose another example is TV sub-titles, used by far more than the
deaf and hard of hearing.

Shaun O'Connor writes: >
regarding the question of whether accessibility helps everyone, there
are numerous scenario's I can think of where the case can be
made. lets > take traffic lights as a prime example. > It is a bright
sunny day, a fully sighted pedestrian is preparing to > cross a busy
road and is at the traffic lights, however due to the > intensity and
angle of the sun at the time it is not possible to see > which light
is on. fortunately the traffic lights are equipped with a > working
inverted cone on the base of the traffic light module which > houses
the push button that is used to inform the system that a > pedestrian
wishes to cross.. when the light goes to green to indicate > that the
pedestrian has right of way, the cone will rotate, thus giving >
tactile confirmation that the lights have indeed changed and the >
pedestrian can be certain they have right of way at that time.

Another example, TV. a fully sighted person might have a set top box,
normally they would use the menu system that appears on the TV screen,
however, audio prompts, if properly programmed, can make selecting a
station or function more efficient.

Braille labelling. imagine the sheer horror of a power cut in the night.
a sighted person may be looking for a particular madication that is
essential to their survival or wellbeing, they don't have a torch handy,
they are fortunate in that they have a rudimentary knowledge or Braille
and the medicine bottles or cartons are labelled in both print and
Braille. consequently the correct medication can be identified.( pen
friend is just as useful here too if Braille is not viable ).

OH and screen readers, also helpful to a fully sighted person as a
proofing aid when preparing documents. ( the software needs to be of
very good quality in terms of textual interpretation and speech rendering ).

With some creative thinking on the part of product and service
providers, I believe assistive technology could become the rule rather
than the exception as there are numerous elements of accessability
whether it be technological or ergonomic, that can benefit everyone in
society instead of accessibility being used as a kind of divisive tool
to put disabled people into a neat little box away from the rest of so
called "normal" society.

ATB

Shaun
On 30/04/2015 12:31, lsmithso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
martin wilsher writes:
, as accessibility helps
everyone, not just blind people.

Hi: I'm relatively new to this world, could you please expand on why
accessibility helps everyone? Is it an argument that could be used
elsewhere?
Thanks.

--
Les Smithson

TPP BYPASSES JUDICIAL AND GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT - RESIST IT

*PRIVACY IS A RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION*

--
Les Smithson