[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip/Stripline

  • From: "Eric Bogatin" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:22:23 -0600

Hi folks-

As we often point out in this forum, every design is custom, and we can't
really use "rules" that can universally apply to every design, equally well.
Every design has a different set of tradeoffs to balance.

When it comes to microstrip vs. stripline, we can't say, one is better than
the other- all the time. All we can do is point out some of the differences,
and each user can use this as ammunition to determine the best
cost-performance-risk trade off for their application.

Further, we can illustrate some of the methods to perform the analysis so
that any engineer can do the same analysis for their specific applications,
without having to rely on the "opinion of an expert".

For differential pairs, microstrip does provide a tighter pitch, thinner
dielectric and lower attenuation per length than a comparable line width
pair in stripline. Of course, there are also some disadvantages with
microstrip over stripline, such as the greater difficulty of tolerance
control and the fewer number of traces that can fit on the surface compared
to buried into multiple layers.

For single ended traces, another disadvantage of microstrip, as Charles is
alluding to, is the potential for excessive far end cross talk.

In 50 ohm microstrip and stripline single ended transmission lines, with 5
mil wide lines, the near end cross talk in stripline is actually larger than
in microstrip for line spacings less than twice the line width. While, near
end cross talk is lower in stripline than microstrip when the spacing is
larger than twice the line width.

You don't need me or anyone else to tell you these properties. You need an
accurate, easy to use, 2D field solver available to you, to tell you these
things. Then you can set up the problem exactly the way you need for your
specific application.

While we can quantify the differences between microstrip and stripline
performance using a 2D field solver, everyone is going to come up with a
different metric of "goodness" because everyone will have a different
weighting factor for each of the performance metrics and what "good" means
to them.

If anyone is interested in the techniques of exploring design tradeoffs with
a 2D field solver, I have a number of feature articles and columns available
for free download from my web site, and, of course, this topic is covered in
detail in my book and our online lectures.

There is still about 10 days left to take advantage of Polar's sponsorship
of the free viewing of OLL-130, stack up design with a field solver.
Comments on these materials are always welcome- feel free to drop me a note
off line.

--eric

**************************************
Dr. Eric Bogatin