[SI-LIST] how to evaluate the lead inductance of chip packages

  • From: david <zhao.dave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:44:11 +0800

Dear sir,
       Whenever we analyzed the inductance of a circuit, we have to consider
the loop. Whatever mutual inductance or self-inductance were mentioned, we
all need to calculate the area of the loop that was constructed by the
forward signal line and the back power plane. That was easy to be
comprehended, in terms of the concept of induction, we had to
understand that the change of flux led to the loop current. And in this
situation, the inductance distributed in the loop nearly uniformly. But
most time, we extracted the lead inductance out of the integrated value of
the loop, and considered it separately. It seemed that the lead had a
inherent inductance which wasn't related to the area of the loop. But I
couldn't comprehended how a straight wire, other than loop, could possess
the inductance. No area No flux.
Thanks a lot.

--
BEST WISHES