[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip/Stripline

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <babid_a@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:41:59 -0800

As someone stated, there are any number of topologies for microstrip
that can be made to be more lossy than stripline, and vice-versa.  Using
a 2-D solver, I looked for trends and found that there wasn't any.  The
very slight trend I saw was so weak that it reversed itself, depending
on whether I was looking at single-ended or differential signals.  And
it was completely overwhelmed by stronger factors, such as loss tangent,
etc.

Contrary to what others have said, I don't remember reading anything
definite reason why one should be more or less lossy than the other, and
that's what I found in my study (though I too have heard lots of
theories otherwise).

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.=20

Jeff Loyer