[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip/Stripline

  • From: <art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:49:29 -0700

Interesting discussion. The received wisdom here has always been that =
stripline is preferred, for the following reasons:

* Better immunity to external fields, crosstalk, etc.

* Not as good a radiator of EMI

* Don't have to worry about weird dielectric effects of solder mask etc.

* Less sensitive (though not immune) to impedance variations due to =
width variations due to etch process variations

* Field is better behaved because (A) it is terminated by ground planes =
on both sides and (B) it travels in the same dielectric on both sides. =
Having board dielectric on one side and air on the other can lead to =
increased dispersion (though this is only significant at really high =
frequencies).=20

But Eric makes some really good arguments in favor of microstrip. The =
difference is that we're probably coming at the question from the =
viewpoint of instrumentation, as opposed to laying out dense high-speed =
digital boards for computers, etc. =20

Art Porter
Agilent Technologies=20

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:41:59 -0800
From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>

As someone stated, there are any number of topologies for
microstrip that can be made to be more lossy than stripline,
and vice-versa.  Using a 2-D solver, I looked for trends and
found that there wasn't any.  The very slight trend I saw
was so weak that it reversed itself, depending on whether I
was looking at single-ended or differential signals.  And it
was completely overwhelmed by stronger factors, such as loss
tangent, etc.

Contrary to what others have said, I don't remember reading
anything definite reason why one should be more or less
lossy than the other, and that's what I found in my study
(though I too have heard lots of theories otherwise).

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is my personal opinion only and
although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this
matter.=3D3D20

Jeff Loyer

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat