[SI-LIST] Re: Microstrip/Stripline

  • From: "Ken Willis" <kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:33:40 -0500

Hi,

Having spent the early part of my career in PCB fabrication, with
hands-on etching/microsectoning/TDRing lots of impedance-controlled
PCBs, I would still be very careful with surface microstrips for
Gbps applications. I am with Lee on this one. In traditional PCB fab
processes, there are a number of things that simply add many variables
to the external traces:

- external layers get plated up, and adds non-uniformity across the
  panel to the trace geometries (trace thickess, width/spacing,
trapezoid
  effect, etc.)

- surface finishes (solder, nickel/gold, soldermask, HASL) also add
  significant variations across the panel

I know that it is done today, but I have simply seen much more process
variation on the external microstrip traces, especially with smaller
5 and 6 mil geometries. If your application is very sensitive to
discontinuities
and reflections, I would just tread carefully here with traditional
plate-and-etch
PCB fab processes for external layers. Maybe with new additive types of
processes,
this is much better controlled now.

Anyone care to share their experiences with that?

Ken

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:41:59 -0800
From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>

As someone stated, there are any number of topologies for microstrip
that can be made to be more lossy than stripline, and vice-versa.  Using
a 2-D solver, I looked for trends and found that there wasn't any.  The
very slight trend I saw was so weak that it reversed itself, depending
on whether I was looking at single-ended or differential signals.  And
it was completely overwhelmed by stronger factors, such as loss tangent,
etc.

Contrary to what others have said, I don't remember reading anything
definite reason why one should be more or less lossy than the other, and
that's what I found in my study (though I too have heard lots of
theories otherwise).

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.=3D20

Jeff Loyer

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat