[wkars-members] Re: RSGB DRM UPDATE

  • From: Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:06:38 +0000

Mike et al, time for some analysis…

Facebook and social media
======================
Facebook’s biggest growth area is, and has been for some time, in older people
(> 34), so its quite likely that radio amateurs are going there. It’s losing
popularity amongst the youngsters, though.

For facebook: http://www.slideshare.net/oreillymedia/facebook-demo-20090415
<http://www.slideshare.net/oreillymedia/facebook-demo-20090415> in 2009:

The UK had 18 million active users. The majority of users were 18-34, majority
growth for Europe was in the 45 to 65 year age range, but also had a peak from
13-17, with most users being female. That is about 1 in 3 people.

Japan had 3.3 million active users. Asian user profile was similar to Europe,
except majority users male. That was about 1 in 50 people.

The US had 59.6 million active users. Americas user profile was similar to
Europe, majority of users female. That was about 1 in 5 people.

Facebook users are rapidly ‘getting older’, though, in 2014 :
http://investorplace.com/2014/02/facebook-users-demographics/#.Vjrc06IrNsM
<http://investorplace.com/2014/02/facebook-users-demographics/#.Vjrc06IrNsM> US
users are up to 180 million, threefold since 2009 report above, and now approx.
1 in 2 people in the US. The biggest growth group is 55+ so that would align
with Radio Amateur populations, with biggest active group 35-54 and the biggest
fall in 18-24 years old.

It seems just as likely that Japanese people use alternative social media, for
example. http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/social-media-fast-facts-japan
<http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/social-media-fast-facts-japan>
suggests that the Japanese far prefer Twitter, and number an astonishing 9% of
global users, but also that Facebook users have grown by 300% in the last 3
years to 17 million, rather more than the 3.3 million reported by O’Reilly,
above. Also see
https://takeme2japan.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/social-media-in-japan/
<https://takeme2japan.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/social-media-in-japan/> which
shows just how rapidly the trends move. In 2009, most Japanese were using
Mixi, but Facebook has rocketed since.

Radio Amateur numbers across the world
====================================
The numbers are interesting… according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_operator
<http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13864>, (see also IARU figures
at http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13864
<http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13864>,
http://www.n0hr.com/ham_radio_population.htm) we have

1,296,059 licensed amateurs in 1999 in Japan, which is 1.012% of the population.

738,497 licensed amateurs in 2012 in the US, which is 0.239% of the population.
15% of them are said to be female.

(Thailand, Korea, Germany, Taipei, Spain, then)...

58,426 licensed amateurs in 2000 in the UK, which is 0.094% of the population.
8th largest in the world for licensed amateurs, or 11th largest by %age of
population (see the table below).
Also note 81,000 licences allocated according to this:
http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/ofcom-amateur-radio-licence-review.html

Global numbers
---------------------
According to the IARU figures, the number of licensed amateurs globally has
grown from
399,000 in 1965 to
2,789,720 in 2000
over that period, showing growth each year. I don’t know what’s happened
since, and 15 years is a long time, so perhaps it’s now going the other way.

From the %age table well below, though, you can see that the UK is actually
reasonably well placed in Europe, in fact 5th.

The undisputed world champ, though, either way, is Japan. Hence I’d be
wondering why Japan is so amazingly far ahead of anywhere else in all measures.

UK RAE pass figures, 1946 to 2003
============================

Historical view of UK RAE, 1946 to 2003:
http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/rae/raestats.pdf:

1946: 395 RAE passes (ex-military folk?)
1959: 1102 RAE passes (first year above 1000 - ex mil?)
1982: 8000 RAE passes (highest ever - post-CB boom)
1991: 3000 RAE passes (sight peak when Novice RAE introduced )
1997: 980 RAE passes (first year below 1000 since 1959)
2003: 652 RAE passes.

After that, the RSGB began to run the RAE, and figures seem quite hard to find!
So, does anyone know what the RAE pass figures are since 2003? I cannot find
them.

RSGB membership
================
This is interesting:http://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/minutes/March2014.pdf
<http://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/minutes/March2014.pdf> suggests 1993 membership at
30,000 and 2013 membership at 21,500, which does show that the RSGB is,
perhaps, in trouble, but this might be more representative of the post CB boom
that anything else.

What caused the 1980s Amateur Radio boom?
====================================
The biggest ever injection of Radio Amateur Examination passes was, it seems,
from the ex-CB fraternity in the 1980s. This rather suggests that making a
film like Convoy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss> might be the best possible thing
you could do. A large part of the appeal of CB was its edgy, not-really-legal
feel, along with the fantasy-lifestyle which went along with the films, the
E-type Jaguar, the CB jargon, and the feel-good, go-nowhere story (I was never
a CBer, btw, I was licensed before this). So perhaps the RSGB is heading the
in the right direction in some respects! The key follow-up TV series was The
Dukes of Hazzard, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogVHlmFcx0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogVHlmFcx0> which again featured a
feel-good, slightly edgy, CB and road-based series of escapades, interspersed
with Daisy Duke’s (Catherine Bach's) eyebrow-raising wardrobe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEHObxHqI4.

If that weren’t enough, we also had Smokie and the Bandit - here is the CB
tutorial made to go with the film - see Burt Reynolds teach you US CB talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwiAk2wjZo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwiAk2wjZo>
Buford T Justice quotes from Smokie and the Bandit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3c64j2DPE
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3c64j2DPE>

Analysis of the CB impact, and its cultural links
====================================
The biggest growth in amateur radio was as a direct consequence of Hollywood
lifestyle films, promoting a feel-good, slightly edgy, but ultimately morally
upright characters, taking on an establishment of well intentioned, but
ultimately corrupt figures. CB radio provides the key mechanism through which
the heroes and heroines communicate, using special language and social networks
which the establishment figures understand, but are unable to effectively
emulate.

The growth in illegal CB created a peak in demand for both better performing
radios and for more legitimacy amongst users in the UK. This directly
translated into a massive boost, around 8-fold growth, in successful RAE
candidates. The subsequent disappearance in CB-radio derived television and
film genre post 1980s, and its replacement with weak 1990s US ‘comedy’ shows
like Seinfeld, the Cosby Show providing ‘feel-good’ (if you liked them) and the
more dystopian Family Guy and South Park appealing to the more ‘edgy’ side of
things, signalled the end of this CB-driven cultural era.
The very utopian Star Trek spin-off series attracted some of the more
scientifically minded, whilst the beautifully written, cast and acted Blake’s
7, with its dystopian themes, went the way of the CB film and TV show.

In these 1990s+ televised utopian worlds, the technology generally ‘just
works’. Sub-cultures, such as the CB/Truckers world are generally frowned
upon, and rarely shown in any kind of positive light. Scientists and engineers
are typically characterised in several, generally unflattering ways, which can
include ‘sneering intellectual’, ‘troubled mad-man’, ‘amoral sociopath’,
‘socially inept figure of fun’. Or, for the mainstream characters, they simply
espouse a lot of non-sensical jargon, whilst shoving their equivalent of the
sonic screwdriver into something with lots of flashing lights, which generally
starts to work after a couple of bashes, and the day is saved. This has changed
little since the 1990s, with current television shows characterising scientific
types as ‘talking nasally’ and ‘a bit dim really’, and always characters to
laugh at.

Education
========
Our education system is deeply biased against males. Presently, 50% of females
attend university, but only 38% of males, and by 2025, 70% of undergraduates
will be female according to the OECD:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/5459854/Girls-will-take-up-70-per-cent-of-university-places-says-new-study.html

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/5459854/Girls-will-take-up-70-per-cent-of-university-places-says-new-study.html>.

The beginning of this trend coincided exactly with the introduced of GCSEs to
replace O-levels in 1988, however, the trend towards academically favouring
females over males is representative in many countries as well as the UK. The
only area in Universities where males outnumber females currently is in hard
sciences. The recent ‘discovery’ of the links between autism and science seem
unlikely to influence policy makers overly.

This imbalance is shocking, and is something the amateur radio community could
look to address, by encouraging younger *males* in schools to consider academic
study. The remarks above regarding the very negative characterisation of
science and scientific culture in mainstream media are probably related.
‘Nerd, Geek, Anorak, …’ very appealing!

As the RAE is fundamentally exam and practical based, it offers equal
opportunity, no matter your learning style, something which could be promoted.

Ofcom, businesses and radio spectrum
==============================
Ofcom seem very interested in trying to hijack amateur radio spectrum in order
to ‘sell’ it to businesses. Once the family silver is gone, there will be no
getting it back. One argument is the falling number of licences granted,
however, there are far more now than there were 50 years ago, so this seems to
be a weak argument.

Contrarily, Ofcom appear to have zero role in, or even any recognition of, the
educational value of amateur radio.

Other interest groups
================
Radio amateurs have much in common with other amateur and professional groups,
such as Astronomers, IET, chess clubs, BCS (British Computing Society).
Politics usually gets in the way of things I know, but maybe forming
philosophical societies which include all of these people might help.

Conclusions
==========
1. A re-characterisation of scientific people in a positive light is essential
in mainstream culture. The moral and intellectual high-ground has been lost,
and needs be re-gained. Influencing mainstream media is critical, and perhaps
the RSGB’s film will address some of that, so in that sense, I’ve rather
persuaded myself that it has cultural value beyond my initial feeling.

2. A nice glossy film associating amateur radio with feel-good, slightly edgy,
but ultimately morally upstanding lifestyle, accessible to all, yet forming a
powerful and desirable sub-culture, could well result in huge growth again.
It’s interesting to note that most dystopian, post-apocalypse futures films do
not show communications as existing at all; perhaps one where radio amateurs
continue to communicate in the dystopian future would be an interesting new
take. Raynet meets Mad Max, but feeling like Convoy.

3. Spin-off television with an amateur radio focus could have almost
immeasurable advantage. The adventures of the Wizards of West Kent :-) TX
Factor will not achieve this, it’s very good indeed, but is about amateur
radio, it’s not about lifestyle at all. Hmm - here’s a thought, why not invite
the TX factor team to make a show about one, or several Raynet events? That
could show amateur radio supporting the community in a very positive way.

4. In 2003, RAE passes fell to below the 1959 level. I don’t know the figures
since, but we are 12 years on. Academically, there has been a recent
resurgence in scientific study at universities, so the time is absolutely right
to go back out to those science departments and look to recruit into amateur
radio. Be aware, though, that they are mostly male, so any material should be
made with that in mind!

5. The RSGB should work *with* Ofcom to make representation to academics
regarding amateur radio and its educational value. Ofcom should not be simply
acting as the store-keeper for spectrum.

6. Radio amateurs, clubs and the RSGB should work with other groups to create
and promote broad-interest philosophical societies, which can help encourage
males into education; noting that the RAE is highly non-discriminatory.

============================
Tables of Amateurs around the world
============================

R.Amateurs By %age population, 15 years ago:

Country Number of amateur
radio operators % population Year of
Report Source
Japan 1,296,059 1.012 1999 [2]
Slovenia 6,500 0.317 2000 [2]
Republic of China 68,692 0.296 1999 [2]
South Korea 141,000 0.288 2000 [2]
Thailand 176,278 0.275 2006 [2]
United States 738,497 0.239 2012 [3]
Canada 69,183 0.201 2011 [3]
Denmark 8,668 0.156 2012 [5]
Spain 58,700 0.127 1999 [2]
Norway 5,302 0.106 2000 [2]
United Kingdom 58,426 0.094 2000 [2]
Germany 75,262 0.092 2007 [4]
Australia 15,328 0.067 2000 [2]
Italy 30,000 0.049 1993 [2]
Argentina 16,889 0.042 1999 [2]
Poland 16,000 0.041 2000 [2]
Ukraine 17,265 0.037 2000 [2]
Russia 38,000 0.026 1993 [2]
France 14,160 0.02 2013 [2]
Brazil 32,053 0.016 1997 [2]
South Africa 6,000 0.012 1994 [2]
Indonesia 27,815 0.011 1997 [2]
India 15,679 0.001 2000 [2]

RAs by absolute numbers 15 years ago:

[...]

On 4 Nov 2015, at 23:16, MG Blueyonder <mike.granatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mark
Why should the test of success be kids walking away from Facebook etc to go
onto 2m? There are legions of amateurs on Facebook groups. And there are
legions of gamers on social media.
Apparently the hobby is declining everywhere in the world except the US,
according to Yaesu. There, they say, the market is going up by 3% a year,
and everywhere else down by the same amount. So you are right - we have to
find ways of bringing knowledge of the hobby to all those who may be
interested.
But self-selection only occurs if the people concerned are actually made
aware of the opportunity. That means reaching them; and that means targeted
communication - because the figures make it clear that neither serendipity,
osmosis, or telepathy are working.
Of course the biggest challenge is kids. They are the engineers, the
experimenters, and the innovators of the future. Growing the hobby won't
happen otherwise. Again, the figures prove the point.
And, with respect, no-one seems to have taken on board that the film - like
every film of its type - is designed as support material for a recruitment
effort involving much more, including personal contact and hands on
experience.
Anyway, thanks for the argument, and a very goodnight.
73
Mike

.

On 4 Nov 2015, at 21:48, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Mike, okay, but how many of those shown in the film, have been interested in
watching the film (self-aggrandisement aside)?

I do not accept the statement that the challenge is to attract kids, in
fact, I think this premise is incorrect.

For me, the challenge, the proper premise, is to attract people who would be
interested in amateur radio, be they any age, sex, whatever… such people
tend to be self-selecting, they are most likely to be already engaged in or
interested in activities of a mathematical, scientific or engineering bent,
be it computing, repairing steam engines, playing chess games, studying
maths or physics, repairing electronics or machines… et cetera.

So, if I’m right, then the video is unlikely to be particularly effective,
and there will be little or no discernible impact.

If I’m wrong, then we should get a whole bunch of kids walking away from
Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and switching on 2 metre rigs.
#bigdecision, #QSO

I’d love to be wrong,

73 G8PHM Mark.

PS. A psychologist is reported today, in the ‘I’, as having ‘discovered’
that scientists tend to be more ‘spectrum', and that more males are
‘spectrum’ than females. I thought this was well-known, but apparently it
wasn’t until today. That would be the target group, though, in my view.
You’ll find them playing computer games, rather than on Facebook or twitter.

On 4 Nov 2015, at 21:30, MG Blueyonder <mike.granatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mike.granatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Well, I'll stick with the evidence of the testing. It apparently works
pretty well with the people who are there to be attracted - and there were
plenty of youngsters in the film handling projects and construction that
belied the accusation/assumption of short attention spans.
It isn't any good bemoaning the grammar of modern media any more than
bemoaning the passing of vacuum state technology, silver oxide photography,
or starting handles,
Our challenge is to attract kids as they are, in the world they inhabit,
with the grammar they expect. To coin a phrase, the past is another place.
We're not there any more. And the kids never were..
73 Mike

On 4 Nov 2015, at 20:20, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Are the kind of people who are likely to be interested in amateur radio
those who would find such a video interesting? I have very strong doubts
about that. Even if they were to, as per Phil’s point, it’s clearly not
representative.

Focus on people who are interested in science, technology, maths,
engineering… if you can find people who already understand electronics,
so much the better, but it’s not essential.

Further, I’m all for foundation licensees, and see no reason why they
should progress beyond that point unless they want to, and again, I doubt
a video like this would make a lot of difference.

Personally, I think the video insults the intelligence of anyone likely to
be interested in the subject… but there we go.

Maybe I’m just a cynical old nit-picking git...

On 4 Nov 2015, at 20:12, Chris Pegrum <chris@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Evening all, second time writing this after my damn phone deleted it so
this is the very short version.

I agree with Mike and Kevin. The videos good to encourage the younger
generations.

Luckily I could route out the ones that look down or don't help. I
managed to get from foundation to full licence in less than a year (just).

We need elmers to help and ensure that every one plays a part in that.
Maybe like national service after you've got your full licence.
Aka the ARRL method.

Regards

Chris Pegrum
chris@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxx>

73 de M0NAY

The views expressed in this email are personal and may not necessarily
reflect those of Chris Pegrum unless explicitly stated otherwise.
addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify me
immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you should not copy
it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Senders
and recipients of email should be aware that, under the Data Protection
Act 1998 the contents may have to be disclosed.
This email has been scanned by the AVG Email Security System. For more
information please visit < http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepagel
<http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepagel>>
However Chris Pegrum cannot accept liability for viruses that may be in
this email and we recommend that you check all emails with an appropriate
virus scanner.

On 4 Nov 2015, at 19:38, gladius650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gladius650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gladius650" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

If some full license holders were less arrogant towards foundation
license holders , we would have more confidence to go on the air also to
progress through the ranks. Also a fair amount of insulting our
intelligence because of us not obtaining our license via taking the R A
E. Because I can understand current flow, resistance and loading ect
through past work, apparently I am a cocky bastard. People need
educating.
M6LVK

Sent from my HTC