[wkars-members] Re: RSGB DRM UPDATE

  • From: Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:48:22 +0000

Mike, okay, but how many of those shown in the film, have been interested in
watching the film (self-aggrandisement aside)?

I do not accept the statement that the challenge is to attract kids, in fact, I
think this premise is incorrect.

For me, the challenge, the proper premise, is to attract people who would be
interested in amateur radio, be they any age, sex, whatever… such people tend
to be self-selecting, they are most likely to be already engaged in or
interested in activities of a mathematical, scientific or engineering bent, be
it computing, repairing steam engines, playing chess games, studying maths or
physics, repairing electronics or machines… et cetera.

So, if I’m right, then the video is unlikely to be particularly effective, and
there will be little or no discernible impact.

If I’m wrong, then we should get a whole bunch of kids walking away from
Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and switching on 2 metre rigs. #bigdecision,
#QSO

I’d love to be wrong,

73 G8PHM Mark.

PS. A psychologist is reported today, in the ‘I’, as having ‘discovered’ that
scientists tend to be more ‘spectrum', and that more males are ‘spectrum’ than
females. I thought this was well-known, but apparently it wasn’t until today.
That would be the target group, though, in my view. You’ll find them playing
computer games, rather than on Facebook or twitter.

On 4 Nov 2015, at 21:30, MG Blueyonder <mike.granatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I'll stick with the evidence of the testing. It apparently works
pretty well with the people who are there to be attracted - and there were
plenty of youngsters in the film handling projects and construction that
belied the accusation/assumption of short attention spans.
It isn't any good bemoaning the grammar of modern media any more than
bemoaning the passing of vacuum state technology, silver oxide photography,
or starting handles,
Our challenge is to attract kids as they are, in the world they inhabit, with
the grammar they expect. To coin a phrase, the past is another place. We're
not there any more. And the kids never were..
73 Mike

On 4 Nov 2015, at 20:20, Mark Kent <mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mark.antony.kent@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Are the kind of people who are likely to be interested in amateur radio
those who would find such a video interesting? I have very strong doubts
about that. Even if they were to, as per Phil’s point, it’s clearly not
representative.

Focus on people who are interested in science, technology, maths,
engineering… if you can find people who already understand electronics, so
much the better, but it’s not essential.

Further, I’m all for foundation licensees, and see no reason why they should
progress beyond that point unless they want to, and again, I doubt a video
like this would make a lot of difference.

Personally, I think the video insults the intelligence of anyone likely to
be interested in the subject… but there we go.

Maybe I’m just a cynical old nit-picking git...

On 4 Nov 2015, at 20:12, Chris Pegrum <chris@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Evening all, second time writing this after my damn phone deleted it so
this is the very short version.

I agree with Mike and Kevin. The videos good to encourage the younger
generations.

Luckily I could route out the ones that look down or don't help. I managed
to get from foundation to full licence in less than a year (just).

We need elmers to help and ensure that every one plays a part in that.
Maybe like national service after you've got your full licence.
Aka the ARRL method.

Regards

Chris Pegrum
chris@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxx>

73 de M0NAY

The views expressed in this email are personal and may not necessarily
reflect those of Chris Pegrum unless explicitly stated otherwise.
If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you should not copy it
for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Senders and
recipients of email should be aware that, under the Data Protection Act
1998 the contents may have to be disclosed.
This email has been scanned by the AVG Email Security System. For more
information please visit < http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepagel
<http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepagel>>
However Chris Pegrum cannot accept liability for viruses that may be in
this email and we recommend that you check all emails with an appropriate
virus scanner.

On 4 Nov 2015, at 19:38, gladius650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gladius650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gladius650" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

If some full license holders were less arrogant towards foundation license
holders , we would have more confidence to go on the air also to progress
through the ranks. Also a fair amount of insulting our intelligence
because of us not obtaining our license via taking the R A E. Because I
can understand current flow, resistance and loading ect through past work,
apparently I am a cocky bastard. People need educating.
M6LVK

Sent from my HTC