Re: [Wittrs] Wittgenstein on Machines and Thinking

  • From: "SWM" <swmirsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittgenstein's Aftermath <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:34:04 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Han Geurdes <wittrs@...> wrote:

> Indeed Stuart, if aliens were created out of Silicon and not Carbon would
> they count as thinking machines?

My point, Han, is that merely being different from what we're used to, when
applying a word like "thinking" to the entity in question, isn't enough to
preclude the application of the term. To some degree, of course, word usage may
change (it always does in our applications over time in any event). But also
something like "thinking" isn't all that well defined either. There may be no
fixed referent for the term but only a range of applications. Why shouldn't
machines be made that can think in some fashion akin to what we count as
thinking in ourselves, even if no current machine qualifies? -- SWM