[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:37:44 -0000

Stuart writes:

"As I delved more deeply into Searle's Chinese Room Argument, I realized why his
argument fails, i.e., it presumes irreducibility on the grounds that
consciousness looks irreducible to us when considered on its own terms."

Actually, the CRA is derived from the famous target article that I tried to get
Stuart to read six years ago.  He refused to consider anything except the
argument from a vacuum.

So if Stuart wants to get at least adequately deep, he ought to consider the
real motivation of the CRA.  Instead, he argues about what it presumes without
sufficiently acknowledging its motivation.  Indeed, in the target article (BBS)
it is shown that computational functionalism's argument as to what may be
considered grounds (criterial ones at that) for x's (a machine's or human
being's) having semantics fails given a simple counterexample where it is shown
that a system may pass a TT (Turing test), and thus be an instance of what the
criteria calls for, while failing to be a case of semantics.

Stuart also writes:

"How can something having what Searle calls a First Person ontology be
explainable in a third person way?"

Searle's answer, negatively put first, is that it is nonnegotiable that the
brain causes consciousness.  If someone claims that Searle writes anything
inconsistent with this claim, then the onus is on that person to make sure they
are getting Searle straight.

In the past Stuart argued that since Searle denies computational functionalism,
then Searle has a different view of consciousness (an entitative one that
implies a form of dualism).

Later, Stuart has argued that Searle's APA address, which claims that the
thesis of computational functionalism as a theory of semantics and/or conscious
is not even to be argued against because incoherent, is actually worse off than
the original CRA.

But it is to be remarked that it is not clear if Stuart ever really read this
article either.

The reason I make the above claim is that I have read both articles and there
just isn't any reason why a denial of computational functionalism has to amount
to a denial of a process based system (surely the brain for Searle) causing
consciousness.

That Stuart likes to make the connection is merely the result of conflating S/H
(software on hardware) systems with nonS/H systems.  He's not the only guilty
party, though, since it has been ubiquitous in the literature that a proposed
computational level of description between the Intentional level and purely
physiological level (call it Dennett's and other's cognitive science paradigm
shift) takes place in systems that are otherwise nonS/H systems--the cognitive
science proposal is that this level can be investigated independently of the
brain.

The thesis that mind and semantics can be investigated without considering the
brain is the real Dennettian paradigm shift.  Further, the level of computation
between the physiological and the Intentional is just abstract enough for it to
make prima facie sense even though the CRA shows the criterion of the TT to be
insufficient as a test.

Searle denies that computational functionalism makes much sense outside of the
miraculous ability we now have to computationally simulate anything we can
understand.  But that doesn't mean that Searle is arguing against cognitive
science.  Cognitive science is more that Dennettian strong AI.

I'll end with Justintruth's comment along with Stuart's reply:

Justintruth writes:

"So basically you are saying that consciousness is physical in one
sense...that it is caused by the brain... and not physical in another
sense..."of it not being about describing the physical phenomena but, rather,
the ... experiential phenomena of subjects."

Stuart responds:

"Yes."

Cheers,
Budd (Ps.  It was Kant who thought to ask how experience is possible.  And it
was Plato much earlier who asserted that every event must have a cause.  Later
thinkers were okay with reconciling the idea that all events are caused with
the human power of being a part of the causal powers that objectively be.  I
bet some such story is true but realize many have the power not to insist upon
it.)