[Wittrs] Re: [C] Does The Tractatus Invalidate Itself?

  • From: "College Dropout John O'Connor" <sixminuteabs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:43:56 -0500

Wittgenstein explicitly states that there are not several kinds of nonsense; I
think this was in his Lecture on Philosophy of Philosophical Remarks.  But
then, Wittgenstein does not distinguish between logic and logos and other words
we might think hand on to each other, past each other.  Like one is an umbrella
to the other.

Descriptively, he might be hitting upon this in the TLP, speaking of how
propositions hand like a chain.

The nonsense Wittgenstein is speaking of is the utterance of tautologies.  This
is a main point in his Lecture on Ethics, which would make a far better
introduction to the TLP than Bertrand Russell's spiel.

'The world is everything that is the case' means the world is tautological.  In
regards to skepticism, there is no point in doubting tautologies.  There is no
point in doubting the world.

'Whereof one cannot speak, Thereof one must be silent' is again tautological.

Tautologies are senseless, and their negation is a contradiction.  This says
nothing of crawling over the propositions (like a geometric construction?).

Here we are, at the limits of language.  And every description can be construed
as an instruction.
--
He lived a wonderful life.