[Wittrs] Re: [C] Does The Tractatus Invalidate Itself?

  • From: "College Dropout John O'Connor" <sixminuteabs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:06:20 -0500

SWmirsky,

Your responses have been revealed as their own topics in the Reservoir.  Your
first seems to end abruptly.  Also, I have to run to work in ten minutes so
this post will lack in some depth.

I believe the quote (that there are not more than one kind of nonsense) to be
from one of W's lectures-- and there are a lot, but I am confident that it is
one of the early lectures like Philosophy or Philosophy of Mathematics.  I will
have to look this up later, but for the time being you could read the first
lecture from Lectures on the foundations of mathematics.  This would be more of
a reply to the comments at the end of your first reply: in that lecture, W
establishes that a difference in degree is an irrelevant point to make.  And
this would be from the latter years, of course.

On a side note, I think W valued nonsense above everything else.  His point was
to recognize the nonsense we utter and also recognize the logic of our language
so as to not get into petty disagreements.  Tautologies are nonsense, but then
so is their negation.  And when we arrive at such a situation in debate, we
should recognize it and say something like, Here we are at the limits of
language.  Beauty and Goodness and etc. make for bad example, IMO.  God and His
non-existence make for better examples of tautologies and contradictions.  The
atheist and theist say nothing that contradict one another.  They are both at
the limits of language.

As per bachelors: that isn't tautological per se, but a definition.  And you
counter(?) example of Tiger Woods is practically the same I used elsewhere on
the Net.  And that would be highlighting the meaning as use of W.

Prop 1 of the TLP defines the world as everything that is the case.  We see
that case is fact is picture.  But look at the truth table and the notion of
negative facts.  The world is TTTTTTTTTTTTTT etc.

Thus, his remarks on solipsism:  If the world is a tautology then doubting it
makes no sense.  Negating it would be a contradiction (FFFFFFFFFFFF...) and
thus realism and solipsism coincide-- back to that limits of language line.

Anyway, love to stay and chat but I gotta go.

Regards,
College Dropout John O'Connor

--
He lived a wonderful life.