[Wittrs] Re: [C] Does The Tractatus Invalidate Itself?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:15:22 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "College Dropout John O'Connor" <wittrsamr@...>
wrote:

> Wittgenstein explicitly states that there are not several kinds of nonsense;
> I think this was in his Lecture on Philosophy of Philosophical Remarks.  But
> then, Wittgenstein does not distinguish between logic and logos and other
> words we might think hand on to each other, past each other.  Like one is an
> umbrella to the other.
>
> Descriptively, he might be hitting upon this in the TLP, speaking of how
> propositions hand like a chain.
>
> The nonsense Wittgenstein is speaking of is the utterance of tautologies.
> This is a main point in his Lecture on Ethics, which would make a far better
> introduction to the TLP than Bertrand Russell's spiel.

Hello John,

I did a response to this post of yours but, for some reason, it isn't showing
up. That sometimes happens and I have never been able to figure out what is (or
are) the cause(s) of this kind of thing. Nevertheless, I will try again though
this time I will not write so much.

Note that in the prior response I misquoted Lewis Carroll. That fact has no
bearing on the point I was making but I do prefer to set the record straight
wherever I can and so below is the complete (and properly rendered as near as I
can tell) "nonsense" poem by the aforementioned author. I was wondering how you
would class such nonsense, in light of your statement that "Wittgenstein
explicitly states that there are not several kinds of nonsense"?

Surely this nonsense is not the same as certain other kinds which Wittgenstein
recognized as such:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, hast thou slain the Jabberwock?