[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:22:24 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Justintruth <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

words I wished I'd had penned. You help me see why and how I go inc
circles with SWM.
You recommend:

> First: Whenever you say that consciousness is physical, or something
> like that, say something like "physical only in the sense that it
is
> caused by something material,

but in what sense can something material cause that which is not
material? As you point out...

> No one yet has a precise description of the mechanism...

which makes it sound as if we were only asking what brain part is
associated with C, the computer analogy and such, when I think we are
asking whether it is intelligible at all to ask how something material
causes that which isn't.

> Third: Abandon the wheel moving analogy as it is misleading.

Right! Because...

> consciousness is not just a function of the configuration of the
objects
> but is the "experiential phenomena of subjects"

which is to say (at least to me) there is no material relationship
between brain and experience. I've repeatedly suggested that the
relationship is internal. What we mean by "a living brain" is one
associated with a conscious person what we mean by "consciousness" is
that which we achieve with a "living brain."

bruce