[Wittrs] Re: Debating with Functional Programmers

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:58:41 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "kirby_urner" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> In between New Math and what gets ridiculed as New New Math was the
> rise and fall of intervening schools of thought. Constructivism,
> constructionism... you know the ones. The Math Wars plays out daily,
> in mostly ritualistic fashion, the positions well known.

There's a "constructivism" in mathematics education, but I'm not  sure
what that is.  I don't really have a problem with Bishop's
constructivism in mathematics.  It's an interesting alternative
approach to math, though perhaps I see it as something like  doing math
with both hands tied behind your back.  But when some  constructivists
go all religious about it, and argue that everything  else is wrong -
that's when I begin to see them as a bit nutty.

> Regarding your earlier post, yes, the FP vs OO (functional versus
> object oriented) battle seems to have been simmering for a long
> time, another semi-inchoate soup of visceral emotion and bitterness,
> seems to be.

It is driven by ideology, rather than by pragmatics.  For that  matter,
so is constructivism.

> What irks me is how little we do to converge any of these long
> simmering debates, bring them to a boil.

Competing ideologies will never agree.  But when people are willing  to
go pragmatic, they can compromise on useful approaches.

Regards,
Neil