[wisb] UW Arboretum, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:45:44 -0500

Highlights:
1 FOY Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in Wingra Woods high in the canopy of the Oak
trees.  The oaks have blooms and small leaves.  The gnatcatcher was in with
4 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 2 Black-capped Chickadees, 1 Tufted Titmouse and a
Downy Woodpecker.  I think there was another warbler in with the pack but I
only got a glimpse of it and couldn't find it again to ID it properly.
After 20 minutes of looking up, a bad case of "warbler neck" set in so I
gave up.

Down at Big Spring I saw 4 Ruby-crowned Kinglets and 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
grazing on insects in the buckthorn left of the spring.  I also saw 4
White-throated Sparrows munching disc-shaped seeds, like that produced by
elms, from a tree next to the short loop of boardwalk west of the spring.

The 2 Sandhill Cranes are still taking turns sitting on their nest of two
eggs at Icke Boardwalk.  I've seen them exchange positions and gently turn
over their eggs with their beaks a couple times now.  The eggs were laid
about March 31 or April 1 so we are all hoping to see young ones hatched
around the end of April or first part of May.

Off topic - In the last few days their has been an explosion in the number
of Red Admiral butterflies all over the arboretum.  I'm sure I saw over 100
today.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck  Henrikson