[wisb] UW Arboretum, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:37:17 -0500

Highlights:
FOY - I saw 4 White-winged Crossbills fly to eastern edge of Curtis Prairie
and land in the top of a dead tree.  They stayed there several minutes which
gave me an opportunity to get good looks at them.  I hadn't seen
White-winged Crossbills in the arboretum since the irruption of the species
several winters ago.

A pair of Sandhill Cranes are back nesting at the Icke Boardwalk of Teal
Pond Marsh.  Could they be the same pair that unsuccessfully nested there
last year?  The nest is located in about the same place as last year's nest.
When I walked out on the boardwalk to get a closer look, the adult sitting
on the nest stood up to show me (of course) her two large speckled eggs.
(The cattails aren't very tall yet so I could see both the nest and the
eggs.)  She carefully turned the eggs over and gently settled down on them
again.  I saw a single crane checking out the marsh last Friday, March 30.
I hope they have better luck hatching their eggs and raising their young
this year.

Also at the boardwalk were 3 Swamp Sparrows.  One male was, I assume, trying
to impress a female with wing flutter and tail spread.  Interestingly he
would extend one wing out and wave it around, retract that wing and then
perform the same move with the other wing, alternating back and forth.  If
the female wasn't impressed I was.

I saw 4 Yellow-rumped Warblers near the white birch trees in Gallistel
Woods.  This is where I've been seeing YRWAs the past few days.

There were 9 Turkey Vultures soaring over Curtis Prairie at one point.  Who
died?

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson