[wisb] UW Arboretum, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:32:24 -0500

It's always a good day when I see the Pileated Woodpeckers.  The pair were
checking out the newly cleared area (invasives removed) between Curtis
Prairie and Teal Pond.  This uncovered numerous rotting logs which are
favorites of the Pileateds.

There was a male Wood Duck at Teal Pond.  What a beauty.

Today's FOY bird was a pair of Northern Flickers probing the ground around
the ash trees out on Longenecker.  That's exactly where I've seen flickers
in past years.  I wonder what's so special in the soil around the ash trees?

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Madison, Dane County